latest health care news

04.11.13

NCRI welcomes increase in cancer research funding

Funding for cancer research has increased by 62% in ten years to 2011, the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) has announced.

New analysis has shown significant investment in NCRI’s partners to understand the biology of the disease, with the greatest increase in research funding in new treatments. This reflects the growth of clinical research networks, NCRI stated.

Of the funding, 60% is spent on research that could apply to all types of cancer, with the remaining 40% focused on particular cancers.

Dr Karen Kennedy, director of the NCRI, said: “Since the start of the NCRI Cancer Research Database we have been able to see the strengths and weaknesses in investment in cancer research. This knowledge has enabled the NCRI to set up initiatives to address gaps and has raised awareness of the need for research in specific areas amongst the research community more generally. But it’s vital for cancer patients that investment in cancer research remains a priority despite the tougher economic times that funders must now operate under.”

Dr Harpal Kumar, chair of the NCRI and chief executive of Cancer Research UK, said: “It’s through research that we’re gaining the insights into cancer that will lead to better treatments for patients, so it’s great news that we’ve seen this huge increase in funding over the last ten years.

“But we still need to encourage funders and researchers to come together and take steps to improve the investment in research into cancers that still have a poor outlook such as brain and pancreatic cancers.”

Tell us what you think – have your say below, or email us directly at opinion@nationalhealthexecutive.com

Image c. euthman

Comments

There are no comments. Why not be the first?

Add your comment

 

national health executive tv

more videos >

featured articles

View all News

last word

Haseeb Ahmad: ‘We all have a role to play in getting innovations quicker’

Haseeb Ahmad: ‘We all have a role to play in getting innovations quicker’

Haseeb Ahmad, president of the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI), sits down with National Health Executive as part of our Last Word Q&A series. Would you talk us throu more > more last word articles >

health service focus

View all News

comment

NHS England dementia director prescribes rugby for mental health and dementia patients

23/09/2019NHS England dementia director prescribes rugby for mental health and dementia patients

Reason to celebrate as NHS says watching rugby can be good for your mental ... more >
Peter Kyle MP: It’s time to say thank you this Public Service Day

21/06/2019Peter Kyle MP: It’s time to say thank you this Public Service Day

Taking time to say thank you is one of the hidden pillars of a society. Bei... more >

interviews

Matt Hancock says GP recruitment is on the rise to support ‘bedrock of the NHS’

24/10/2019Matt Hancock says GP recruitment is on the rise to support ‘bedrock of the NHS’

Today, speaking at the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) annual... more >

the scalpel's daily blog

Caregivers are looking for meaningful work

03/12/2019Caregivers are looking for meaningful work

Ergotron EMEA discusses how they can support organisations to make caregivers’ work meaningful and promote better wellbeing. Caregivers always focus on sharing thei... more >
read more blog posts from 'the scalpel' >

editor's comment

25/09/2017A hotbed of innovation

This edition of NHE comes hot on the heels of this year’s NHS Expo which, once again, proved to be a huge success at Manchester Central. A number of announcements were made during the event, with the health secretary naming the second wave of NHS digital pioneers, or ‘fast followers’, which follow the initial global digital exemplars who were revealed at the same show 12 months earlier.  Jeremy Hunt also stated that by the end of 2018 – the 70th birthday... read more >