News

06.09.18

Campaigners lose High Court fight against Dorset service reorganisation

Campaigners have lost their High Court bid to put a stop to a proposed reorganisation to Dorset’s healthcare services.

In a statement, Dorset CCG said it was pleased with the judge’s decision to rule in favour of its plans to move ahead with the service shake-up.

A legal challenge had been brought forward by Anna Hinsull, a Swanage resident, as part of an ongoing campaign by Defend Dorset NHS against plans to move A&E services from Poole.

But the High Court is satisfied that Dorset CCG has taken into consideration everything it was required to during the Clinical Services Review (CSR) and consultation process.

Tim Goodson, the clinical commissioning group’s chief officer said: “We hope that the High Court’s decision will reassure local people that the CCG has acted properly and in the interests of healthcare services in Dorset.

“The CSR and consultation established that we need to change the way local services are delivered in order to secure better outcomes for patients and affordable healthcare for now and the future.”

Goodson also pointed out the “considerable cost” that the judicial review has incurred, despite accepting that it was a “right and proper” process.

“The High Court decision will now allow the planned improvements to health and care services in Dorset to be implemented without unnecessary delay or additional legal costs,” he added.

“We will continue to work closely with our partner NHS and local authority organisations to ensure that the improvements bring about patient benefits and save more lives.”

Campaigners said they were “very shocked” to hear the news and claimed that they repeatedly witnessed the CCG “being unable to respond to genuine concerns that were raised” in the court hearing.

They noted that the judgement “does nothing to address the clinical risk to Dorset residents of having to travel further in an emergency,” and argued that the 180 people who go to Poole A&E by ambulance per year are at risk of dying as a result of the reshuffle.

Protesters now have 21 days to consider whether to appeal. They will be speaking to their QC this Friday, and will also take into consideration the health of the claimant, which is now “significantly worse than it was” when this process was started last autumn.

Despite public concern, the CCG said that the changes will trigger a £147m investment in acute hospital services, provide more services closer to people’s homes, and open up new ways of working for NHS and social care staff that better harnesses their skills.

(Top image c. Lorraine and Keith Bowdler)

Comments

There are no comments. Why not be the first?

Add your comment

 

national health executive tv

more videos >

latest news

View all News

comment

The Hospital Energy Project

19/09/2018The Hospital Energy Project

The Hospital Energy Project is an ambitious engineering scheme to replace o... more >
Social media's role in health

19/09/2018Social media's role in health

Social media has a massive role to play in health – infection prevent... more >

editor's comment

25/09/2017A hotbed of innovation

This edition of NHE comes hot on the heels of this year’s NHS Expo which, once again, proved to be a huge success at Manchester Central. A number of announcements were made during the event, with the health secretary naming the second wave of NHS digital pioneers, or ‘fast followers’, which follow the initial global digital exemplars who were revealed at the same show 12 months earlier.  Jeremy Hunt also stated that by the end of 2018 – the 70th birthday... read more >

last word

Hard to be optimistic

Hard to be optimistic

Rachel Power, chief executive of the Patients Association, warns that we must be realistic about the very real effects of continued underfunding across the health service. It’s now beyond more > more last word articles >

interviews

Duncan Selbie: A step on the journey to population health

24/01/2018Duncan Selbie: A step on the journey to population health

The NHS plays a part in the country’s wellness – but it’s... more >

the scalpel's daily blog

Lord Darzi: Seize the opportunity

19/09/2018Lord Darzi: Seize the opportunity

Professor the Lord Darzi of Denham is the Paul Hamlyn chair of surgery at Imperial College, a surgeon working in the NHS and, from 2007-09, was health minister under Labour. H... more >
read more blog posts from 'the scalpel' >

healthcare events

events calendar

back

September 2018

forward
mon tue wed thu fri sat sun
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

featured articles

View all News